About Three Rings
Three Rings is a developer of online games based in San Francisco,
California, with offices in Philadelphia, PA and Madison, WI. We were
acquired by SEGA
in November 2011
and continue to operate as a development studio within the SEGA family.
Here are a few facts about the studio:
- Three Rings was founded on March 30, 2001 to build the persistent
world of puzzly piracy,
- Puzzle Pirates was launched in December 2003 after
over a year of alpha and beta testing, and pioneered free to play
microtransactions starting in 2005.
- Since launching Puzzle Pirates, we have shipped
(with a host of smaller games within, like
- We are currently working hard to bring Doctor Who: Worlds in
Time to launch. Watch out for more news from The Doctor, soon!
- We build many of our games using open-source technologies like
Java, Linux, BSD and others. We have contributed back a number of
our libraries as open-source
and also contributed to others such as Google's
cross-platform game toolkit.
- Our downtown SOMA office space was transformed by
Because We Can into a
deep-sea exploration vessel
inspired by Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
We lub coming to work in our Victorian submarine - even on the days when the